Thomson Reuters Elite Tablet Triumph with Lolay
Thomson Reuters, a global leader in legal and business information, had ambitious plans for their Elite legal research platform. They envisioned a sleek, mobile experience accessible on iPads, empowering lawyers with on-the-go research prowess. Initial attempts to port Elite to the cloud and iPads, undertaken with various agencies and approaches, had stalled. Prior to Lolay, the project was plagued by technical roadblocks, missed deadlines, and spiraling costs.
- Missed Deadlines: The initial development teams and agencies encountered unforeseen technical hurdles, deadlines loomed, and frustration was high.
- Fragmented Architecture: The desktop version's codebase was not optimized for mobile devices, leading to performance and compatibility challenges.
- Limited Cloud Expertise: The in-house team lacked the necessary cloud development skills, hindering the transition to a cloud-based infrastructure.
- Communication Gaps: Misalignment between key stakeholders and external developers resulted in confusion and missed deadlines.
Lolay's intervention wasn't just about fixing technical issues; it was about transforming the project culture and empowering Thomson Reuters to take control of their future.
Initial Analysis and Initial Actions:
- Code Reviews: Lolay conducted a thorough code analysis, identifying inefficiencies and performance bottlenecks.
- Modular Design: Lolay and internal teams embarked on a meticulous process of splitting the codebase into small, independent services, each responsible for a specific functionality.
- Targeted optimization: Individual services could be optimized for iPad performance without jeopardizing other functionalities.
- Enhancing scalability: New features and services could be easily added or removed as needed.
- Moving from Waterfall: Lolay recommended an agile development methodology, replacing the rigid waterfall approach that initially plagued the project.
- Rapid feedback loops: Stakeholders could continuously test and provide feedback on new features, ensuring alignment with user needs.
- Reduced risks: Smaller increments minimized the impact of potential errors and allowed for course correction after each sprint.
- Increased team engagement: Regular feedback and shared goals fostered a collaborative and empowered development environment.
Stakeholder Transparency :
- Open and Regular Communication: Lolay recognized that technical expertise alone wouldn't suffice. They established open communication channels and fostered collaboration across all stakeholders.
- Workshops: Regular meetings and workshops kept everyone informed and aligned on project goals and priorities.
- Upskilling Internal Teams: They also invested in upskilling Thomson Reuters' internal teams, empowering them to take ownership of the project in the future.
This detailed breakdown showcases the depth and breadth of Lolay's solution, not just as a mobile app but as a complete reimagining of legal research for the future. It prioritizes user experience, collaboration, security, and adaptability, empowering researchers to work smarter, faster, and more securely in the cloud-powered legal landscape.
A User-Centric Interface:
- Touch-Optimized Layout: Ditching the desktop layout, Lolay designed a sleek and intuitive interface optimized for the iPad's touchscreen.
- Simplified Navigation: Key functionalities were readily accessible, with navigation built around familiar gestures and swipes.
- Data Visualization Revolution: Information visualization received a boost, with interactive charts and graphs enhancing data comprehension.
- Offline Access Always: Offline access ensured users could continue research even without an internet connection.
Powerful Search and Retrieval:
- Precision Algorithms: Lolay revamped the search engine, employing advanced algorithms to deliver highly relevant results even with imprecise queries.
- Natural Language Understanding: Natural language processing capabilities allowed users to search in plain English, mimicking real-world legal research scenarios.
- Personalized Research Flow: Personalized filters and saved searches streamlined research flow, saving time and effort.
- Automatic Citation Tracking: An integrated citation tracker automatically identified and linked relevant cases and statutes.
Seamless Cloud Integration:
- Secure Foundation: Leveraging the power of the cloud, Lolay built a secure and scalable infrastructure for Elite on iPads.
- Always Up-to-Date: Data synchronization across devices ensures users always have access to the latest information, no matter where their research takes them.
- Peace of Mind in the Cloud: Automatic backups and disaster recovery measures provided robust protection against data loss and downtime.
- Future-Proofed Scalability: The cloud-based infrastructure also paved the way for future feature updates and expansions.
Collaborative Research Tools:
- Shared Annotation Power: Shared annotation tools allowed colleagues to highlight and comment on specific sections of documents.
- Real-Time Collaboration: Real-time chat and video conferencing enabled seamless collaboration, even remotely.
- Version Control Clarity: Version control ensured team members were always working on the latest version of documents.
Advanced Security and Compliance:
- Data Security First: Protecting sensitive legal information is paramount. Multi-factor authentication, access control measures, and data encryption ensure maximum security for all research data.
- Compliance Confidence: Lolay built Elite with industry regulations in mind. Regular security audits and penetration testing safeguard the platform against potential vulnerabilities.
- Peace of Mind, Guaranteed: Rest assured that your research data is always protected and handled responsibly with Elite's robust security framework.
A Platform for the Future:
- Evolving and Adapting: Lolay's microservices architecture makes Elite incredibly flexible. New features and functionalities can be easily added without disrupting existing capabilities.
- Growing with Your Needs: The cloud infrastructure scales seamlessly to accommodate user growth and changing research demands.
- Empowering the Future: Lolay equipped Thomson Reuters' internal team with the knowledge and skills to maintain and evolve Elite independently, ensuring the platform's continued success for years to come.
While the core functionalities of Elite on iPads focus on user experience, powerful search, and seamless cloud integration, Lolay's solution also boasts several innovative features that set it apart:
- Predictive Research: AI algorithms analyze your research patterns and suggest relevant cases, statutes, and articles you might have missed.
- Sentiment Analysis: Gain deeper insights into legal documents by understanding the emotional tone and potential biases within them.
- Visual Research Assistant: Need help navigating complex legal topics? The interactive visual assistant guides you through relevant research paths and provides contextual understanding.
Personalized Research Hub:
- Customizable Dashboards: Design your research workspace to your preferences, with prioritized sources, saved searches, and frequently accessed tools at your fingertips.
- Intelligent Alerts: Stay up-to-date on the latest developments in your areas of expertise with personalized legal alerts and case notifications.
- Research History Timeline: Revisit past research journeys with ease. The interactive timeline allows you to track how your research evolved and revisit key findings.
Collaborative Annotation Revolution:
- Augmented Reality Overlays: Annotate documents in a whole new way. Overlay real-time annotations directly onto scanned legal documents, fostering immersive collaboration with colleagues.
- Interactive Mind Maps: Generate visual representations of your research with interactive mind maps, allowing you to connect ideas, identify patterns, and share conclusions seamlessly.
- Live Research Sessions: Conduct collaborative research sessions in real-time. Share your screens, annotate documents together, and discuss findings face-to-face virtually.
Immersive Data Visualization:
- Legal Data Hub: Explore legal data in a whole new way. The interactive Legal Data Hub visualizes trends, analyzes statistics, and uncovers hidden patterns within case law and legal trends.
- Predictive Analytics: Forecast future outcomes and make informed decisions with AI-powered predictive analytics tools that analyze past case rulings and legal precedents.
- Interactive 3D Charts: Ditch flat data visualizations. Explore legal data in stunning 3D charts and graphs, enhancing understanding and revealing hidden correlations.
- Voice-Controlled Research: Navigate and conduct research completely hands-free with voice-activated commands. A powerful legal assistant understands your queries and executes research tasks with ease.
- Dyslexia-Friendly Interface: Tailor the interface to your needs. Customizable fonts, text spacing, and color schemes offer enhanced readability for users with dyslexia.
- Integrated Screen Reader: Access research information independently with full screen reader compatibility, ensuring access for users of all abilities.
Beyond the impressive features and technical prowess, Lolay's turnaround work with Thomson Reuters to bring Elite to iPads had a profound impact, transforming the platform and the end-user experience. Here's a look at some key metrics showcasing the success:
- Increased user adoption: 45% growth in daily active users compared to the desktop version, demonstrating the convenience and appeal of the iPad app.
- Enhanced research efficiency: 18% decrease in research time per task achieved through features like personalized filters, saved searches, and offline access, streamlining the research process.
- Improved Collaboration and teamwork: 20% growth in collaborative research sessions utilizing features like shared annotations, live research sessions, and real-time chat, fostering teamwork and knowledge sharing.
- Financial and operational benefits: 50% reduction in cloud infrastructure costs through Lolay's optimized cloud architecture and resource allocation strategies and 28% decrease in development and maintenance overhead due to the modular microservices architecture, making the platform easier to maintain and update.
- Internal team boost: Increased team morale and adoption of iPad, cloud and agile tools that helped maintain development momentum for the Elite team.
- Brand enhanced: Improved brand image and market competitiveness for Thomson Reuters through a cutting-edge, user-centric legal research platform.